Concerned Citizens For Justice
Poverty and Gentrification
- Chattanooga has the highest concentration of low wage jobs in the country.
- Racial displacement is happening all over Chattanooga, including two of the most aggressively gentrifying zip-codes in the country. From 2000-2010, the “south side” of Chattanooga’s white population went from 7.2% to 45.9%/
- The city prioritizes powerful corporations and developers, giving them huge tax breaks and development incentives, at the expense of working class Chattanoogans. This is facilitated by public and private entities such as River City Co. and other gentrifying forces.
Education System Failure
- School zone funding is based on property taxes, which is based on property value.
- Parents move to gentrified neighborhoods