SMA8 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
November 15-17, 2019 at Camp Wesley Pines in Hazelhurst, Mississippi.
Who is the Southern Movement Assembly?
The Southern Movement Assembly is made up of a broad base of Southern-based leaders and communities who live and fight on many frontlines. The Southern Movement Assembly is intergenerational, multiracial, multi-issue and based across the 13 states of the South with partners in the Up South and Global South. Our communities are resisting racism, poverty, violence, and climate crisis. Our communities are protecting and defending ourselves, building new economies, and growing our political power. We believe that we are stronger together.
What do we mean by “delegations”?
- We are asking our people to form groups of 3-5 people from your community or organization and come prepared to build a collective vision and action plan for 2020 with 200-250 other Southern freedom fighters.
- As organizers, we believe that delegations provide an opportunity to prepare, participate, and represent our communities to better coordinate our shared actions.
How do we prepare for participation in the SMA8?
- Before you come, bring your delegation/team together for a discussion of the following two questions, and come prepared to present the results of this conversation in a concise and creative way.
- In your community, what are you resisting AND what do you want to build in 2020?
- In the South as a region, what do we need to resist AND what should we build in 2020?
- Please review the current ACTION PLAN that synthesized our work at SMA7 in 2017. The Action Plan includes the Southern Peoples Initiative, our shared strategic framework.
Is there a registration fee?
- No, the SMA is free to participate.
- The SMA is funded primarily by the grassroots anchor organizations and supporters around the region who are committed to autonomous and independent movement building. Please consider contributing directly to our collective efforts if you are able as an organization or individual. CONTRIBUTE a tax-deductible donation here.
- The SMA includes all meals, from dinner on Thursday, November 14th to lunch on Sunday, November 17th – provided by Wesley Pines Camp.
- If you have special dietary needs, please bring your own food to complement or replace what is offered. There are grocery stores and a pharmacy within a 15 minute drive from Wesley Pines Camp.
- The SMA offers beds in shared housing at Wesley Pines Camp that include dorm-style bunk beds and twin beds in double rooms.
- If you are the delegation lead contact, you will receive an email after you register with more specific questions about your group’s lodging needs.
- If you are staying on site at Wesley Pines Camp YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN: sheets, pillow, blanket, and towels.
- If you choose to stay off site at your own expense, please consider the following hotels that are 10-25 minutes driving distance from the Camp.
- HAZLEHURST: Western Inn Express, Americas Best Value, & Roadway Inn
- BRYAM: Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn and Suites, Woodspring Suites, America’s Best Value
- JACKSON: Holiday Inn Express Coliseum, Hampton Inn, Red Room Inn
- If you indicate accessibility requirements on your registration form, someone from SMA will be in contact soon. We are committed to provide accessibility support as best as we are able.
- The site is a campground with paved roads to primary meeting sites that are accessible by wheelchair in addition to a number of unpaved paths to cabins.
- Consider also bringing comfortable shoes, rain gear, flashlight, toiletries, snacks and refillable water bottle.
TRAVEL SUPPORT OPTIONS:
- Please carpool with your group and other delegations in your region! We cannot support single occupancy travel or lodging.
- Travel support is prioritized for the 13 Southern States (AL, AR, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV) and Puerto Rico.
- If you are the delegation lead contact, you will receive an email after you register with more specific questions about your group’s travel needs.
- We all work to help support the SMA happen! If you haven’t already, email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a Work Crew (Site, Culture/Healing, Program, Communications, etc.)
We will see you in Mississippi in November!