In a time of crisis . . . ORGANIZE TO RESIST & BUILD
Southern freedom fighters are gathering November 15-17, 2019 in Hazlehurst, Mississippi for the eighth Southern Movement Assembly. From every frontline, we are coming together to connect with one another, share visions, and create regional strategies for collective action in 2020.
WHO ARE WE? The SMA is intergenerational, multiracial, multi-gendered, and based across the 13 states of the South with partners in the Up South and Global South. Our communities are resisting racism, poverty, violence, and climate crisis. Our communities are protecting and defending ourselves, building new economies, and growing our political power. Read our full Action Plan developed at the most recent Assembly in 2017 – HERE
WHAT IS THE SMA8? We have gathered 7 times in the last 7 years. We come together to build connections, break isolation, analyze the situations we are facing, and create visions and strategies for liberation. The SMA8 is the eighth regional assembly since 2012, and we are excited to be anchored in Mississippi by Alternate ROOTS, Southern Rural Black Women’s Initiative, Sipp Culture Center, and partners across the Deep South.
WHY ARE WE COMING TOGETHER? 2020 is a critical year, and we need to synthesize our visions and coordinate our strategies. Our goal is to leave SMA8 with a clear plan of action for our home communities and for what we are doing as a region.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
> Gather your people – Organize a Peoples Movement Assembly (PMA)
- PMAs are facilitated spaces to come together, analyze the problems in your community, create a shared vision; and commit to actions. PMAs are already organized in AL, AR, GA, FL, LA, and TN to prepare for the SMA8
- To learn more, join a PMA How-To Webinar on September 28 or October 22 – REGISTER
> Organize a Delegation to Participate:
We are asking our people to form groups of 3-5 people from your community or organization and come prepared to build a collective vision for 2020 with 200-250 other Southern freedom fighters.To prep before you come, bring your team together for a discussion of these two questions:
- In your community, what are you resisting AND what do you want to build in 2020?
- In the South as a region, what do we need to resist AND what should we build in 2020?
> Help Make it Happen – Join a Work Crew!
- We need you! Support Registration, Logistics, Communications, Facilitation, Culture & Healing, & more!
- Join bi-monthly Zoom conference calls on Thursdays at 6:30pm EST – Oct 3 / Oct 17 / Oct 31 / Nov 7 – Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to register for the call!