Who is the Southern Movement Assembly?
Participating Organizations align with the Principles of Unity, participate in Southern Movement Assemblies, the annual Organizing Intensive, and participate in Work Teams that facilitate Community and Frontline Assemblies and support the overall organizing efforts. Over 100 organizations have participated in SMAs and have signed on to Southern Peoples Initiative since 2012.
Anchor Organizations have worked with the SMA for at least a year, align with the Principles of Unity, meet weekly and provide strategic direction, accumulate political analysis, initiate rapid response when needed, and coordinate the annual SMA, Organizing Intensive, and Work Teams.
List of Anchor Organizations
- Alternate Roots | Atlanta, Georgia
- Black Belt Citizens Fighting for Health and Justice | Uniontown, AL
- Black Workers for Justice | Raleigh, NC
- Concerned Citizens for Justice | Chattanooga, TN
- Crescent City Media Group | New Orleans, LA
- Georgia Citizens’ Coalition on Hunger | Atlanta, GA
- Gulf Coast Center for Law & Policy | Slidell, LA & Regional
- Highlander Research and Education Center | Regional
- Hondo Empowerment Committee | Hondo, TX
- National Council of Elders – South | Regional
- National Nurses United | National
- New Jim Crow Movement | Jacksonville, FL
- Project South | Atlanta & Regional
- SpiritHouse | Durham, NC
- Stay Together Appalachian Youth Project (S.T.A.Y.) | Regional
- The Ordinary Peoples Society – TOPS | Dothan, AL
- University Sin Fronteras | Atlanta, Bemidji, Detroit, Jacksonville, San Antonio, & Puerto Rico
- Women Watch Afrika | Clarkston, GA